Does Marriage Counseling Work? Stats & Success Rates
Every marital situation is different. Maybe there is infidelity, trouble communicating, the passion is gone, you've grown apart, or all you do is fight. Whatever the problem, there are many types of therapists and counseling types available, that can help you get back on track. However, studies confirm:
• Most couples who actively engage in relationship counseling will see immediate gains in their relationships. The most common type of therapy, Evidence-based therapies have the best success rate, with 75% of couples reporting recovery and 90% realizing significant relationship improvement.
• Couples who enter marriage counseling before their relationship is in deep distress have a much better chance at success.
• Therapists who instill strategies that the couple can easily implement on their own when the counseling ends are far more likely to see long-term success in their marriage.
FAQ's - Stats and Success Rates - Tips for a Thriving, Happy Marriage - Common Myths - How to Get the Most Out of Your Session - Couples Counseling Techniques and Methods - What to Expect? - How to Get Your Spouse to Join Couples Counseling
• In 2010, a study was conducted that focused on 134 couples whose marriages were “seriously distressed”. Each couple underwent 26 weeks of behavioral therapy. Five years after therapy had ended, 48% of the couples reported a drastic improvement in their relationships, while 27% had either gotten divorced or were separated.
• The Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, cited recent statistics showing that the majority of couples that attend marriage counseling, and do so with the true intention of improving the quality of their marriage, do indeed report that they believe the counseling helped resolve immediate issues and that it subsequently improved the quality of their marriage; at least in the short term.
• Couples typically wait an average of six years in an unhappy marriage before seeking help, according to the Seattle-based Gottman Institute.
Free 15 Minute Consultation!